Austin and the holidays are like a marriage made in Texas heaven. If you’re looking to #GetAway #YourWay this holiday season, here are our top 10 reasons why you should spend time in the Live Music Capitol of the World:
- Music is everywhere! Austin has been dubbed the “Live Music Capital of the World” due to the sheer number of live venues it boasts. In fact, Austin has more live music venues per capita than anywhere else in the U.S. No matter what kind of music strums the strings of your heart, you will find it in Austin.
- It’s been labeled as one of “America’s coolest cities” by Forbes. There are few places on Earth where you’ll see so many smiling faces and meet so many people with something positive to say.
- Loads of shopping! Events like the Annual Armadillo Christmas Bazaar allow you to view the wares of more than 160 fine artisan vendors and choose one-of-a-kind gifts.
- Warm weather won’t slow you down. Although there’s not much chance of finding a naturally formed ice rink, Chapparal Ice, Omni Barton Creek Resort, and the Whole Foods flagship store all offer man-made rinks so you can show off your inner Scott Hamilton or Kristi Yamaguchi.
- Austinites are crazy about decorating for the holidays. While there are plenty of professionally decorated areas to visit, you can take part in the festivities by bringing a box of ornaments, garland and a “weird object or two” to Loop 360 to take part in a community decorating tradition.
- There are great photo ops. In 1965, the Austin Parks and Recreation Department started a light display event called “Yule Fest.” Today, it’s referred to as the Trail of Lights, and has grown to include more than 40 displays, two million lights, and a myriad of holiday activities, including community performances.
- Austin has a strong food game. There’s a vibrant food scene in Austin, fueled in part by the entrepreneurial spirit of the city. While barbecue remains an iconic staple, you can also find foods from around the globe.
- Someone is always willing to sing with you. Ever wanted to go caroling but couldn’t find anyone who wanted to harmonize with you? Austin is home to the Holiday Sing-Along and Downtown Stroll, where everyone is welcome to lift their voices.
- You can be in two places at one time — or at least feel as though you are. For just a moment, you may believe you are celebrating the holidays in Germany at the German Christmas Market, surrounded by German Christmas music, authentic handcrafted items, and the delectable aroma of baked goods.
- The play’s the thing. Austin’s Zach Theatre — the oldest continuously operating theater company in Texas — offers seasonal performances of classics like “A Christmas Carol” and holiday-themed comedies to lighten your spirits.
Are you ready for a holiday adventure in Austin? Book your Austin vacation at allegiant.com!